<strong>Match Report: Hull FC 42-4 Wakefield Trinity</strong>

Match Report: Hull FC 42-4 Wakefield Trinity

The Black & Whites put in an impressive display in both attack and defence to down Wakefield Trinity 42-4 on Sunday afternoon.

Club News

The Black & Whites put in an impressive display in both attack and defence to down Wakefield Trinity 42-4 on Sunday afternoon.

FC kept their play-off hopes alive in their 300th outing at the MKM Stadium, featuring a brace from Darnell McIntosh as Hull dominated proceedings.

Wakefield battled hard at times and trailed by just twelve points at the break, but Tony Smith’s side ran away with the scoreline in the closing stages to claim a comprehensive two points.

Team News

Tony Smith has made two changes to the side that faced Huddersfield Giants last weekend, with Liam Sutcliffe (finger) and Ligi Sao (knee) dropping out.

They are replaced by Carlos Tuimavave and Jack Brown.

Tex Hoy remains unavailable for selection with a hamstring injury, while Mitieli Vulikijapani continues his recovery from knee surgery.

The Match

Hull opened the scoring just short of the ten minute mark; Jake Clifford’s break in mid-field was supported by Adam Swift, who collected the try and raced away for his 17th try of the campaign. Clifford converted.

The half-way was broken up by a long stoppage in play after a heavy collision between Andre Savelio and Samisoni Langi. Following around ten minutes of care by the two side’s medical staff, Langi was stretchered from the field.

FC extended their lead with ten minutes remaining in the field half. Jake Clifford boomed a pass out to Darnell McInoths over on Hull’s right edge, showing some superb pace to race away from Trinity’s edge defence. He had Carlos Tuimavave in support on hisnleft shoulder to race away and finish the move. Clifford added the goal.

Half-Time: Hull FC 12-0 Wakefield Trinity

Tony Smith’s side had their third just minutes after the restart as in-form centre/back-row Cam Scott showed some dazzling footwork to duck and dive his way over the line. Clifford kicked a third.

It was a quick double for Hull who had their fourth try of the afternoon just a minute later. Danny Houghton broke through the Wakefield line on half-way, and had Jordan Lane in support to collect his offload and charge away for his first try of the season. Clifford made it four with the boot.

Trinity hit back through with their first score of the afternoon, finding space over on the left edge for Innes Senior to go over unopposed. Dagger missed the kick.

Hull began to put Wakefield to the sword, with Darnell McIntosh grabbing FC’s fifth as the final quarter came. A pass out wide from Jake Clifford saw his winger go over with an easy finish. Clifford kicked a fifth.

Matters got worse for the visitors, as a loose ball on their own try line saw McIntosh make the most of the error and dot down for his second. Clifford kicked his sixth.

FC ended their tally with an audacious try in the final minute of play, with Joe Lovodua getting on the end of a cross-field slice from Andre Savelio. Clifford made it seven from seven.

Full-Time: Hull FC 42-2 Wakefield Trinity


Hull FC: Davy Litten, Adam Swift, Carlos Tuimavave, Cam Scott, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Trueman, Jake Clifford, Brad Fash, Danny Houghton, Scott Taylor, Andre Savelio, Jordan Lane, Joe Cator.

Interchange: Chris Satae, Joe Lovodua, Jack Brown, Brad Dwyer

18th Man: Will Gardiner

Wakefield: Max Jowitt, Tom Lineham, Reece Lyne, Samisoni Langi, Innes Senior, Luke Gale, Mason Lino, Kevin Proctor, Liam Hood, Josh Bowden, Matty Ashurst, Jay Pitts, Liam Kay

Interchange: Eddie Battye, Renoir Atoni, Will Dagger, David Fifita

18th Man: Jack Croft


Hull FC Tries: Swift (9), Tuimavave (28), Scott (47), Lane (49), McIntosh (63, 75), Lovodua (79)

Hull FC Goals: Clifford (7/7)

Wakefield Tries: Senior (53)

Wakefield Goals: Dagger (0/1)

Rowe Freight Man of the Match: Jake Clifford

Attendance, in association with Garbutts: 11,959