<strong>Match Report: Hull FC 34-6 St Helens</strong>

Match Report: Hull FC 34-6 St Helens

The Black & Whites put last week’s Challenge Cup heartache behind them to continue their improved home league form on Thursday evening, with a memorable 34-6 win over reigning champions St Helens.

Club News

The Black & Whites put last week’s Challenge Cup heartache behind them to continue their improved home league form on Thursday evening, with a memorable 34-6 win over reigning champions St Helens.

Hull scored six tries and kept the visitors to just one score as they recorded their first win over Saints since 2017, and recorded their biggest since 2005.

Try-scorers Jake Clifford and Jake Trueman were influential in the halves, but it was Andre Savelio who stole the show with a Man of the Match performance as Hull dominated the Saints pack throughout.

Team News

Tony Smith made six changes to the side that lined-up at the weekend.

Tex Hoy (hamstring), Adam Swift, Liam Sutcliffe (leg) and Scott Taylor (shoulder) all dropped out through injury, while Brad Dwyer was rested and Josh Griffin served the first of his seven match suspension.

The quintet were replaced by Jamie Shaul, Cam Scott, Jake Clifford and Joe Lovodua, who all came into the starting thirteen, while Ben McNamara and Jack Brown returned to the bench.

Brad Fash made his 150th club appearance while Joe Cator made his 100th career appearance.

The Match

Hull drew first blood in the match, hitting the front after just six minutes. Jake Trueman put a kick into the corner in FC’s first attack on the Saints line, with Darnell McIntosh leaping superbly to get up and pat the ball down into the arms of Jake Clifford – the Aussie pivot showed some great strength to power over from five metres out. He missed the resulting kick.

Hull had their second score on the fifteen minute mark in a superb start against Paul Wellens men – a downfield break Andre Savelio set us up in great position, with a short ball from Danny Houghton to Carlos Tuimavave on the Saints line sending the centre diving over. Clifford was on target this time.

FC soon had a third try on the board; a kick through towards the Saints line looked to be going dead, or so though Jack Welsby who left the ball to roll away out of play. However, McIntosh from nowhere leapt to keep the ball in the field, allowing the chasing Trueman to leap onto the ball and score from his own kick. Clifford converted.

Satae powered over from close range with five minutes of the half remaining in what was turning out to be Hull’s finest half of the season so far. Clifford converted a third.

Hull almost had a fifth before the break as Davy Litten went for a spectacular finish in the corner, but a slight knock-on saw him denied.

Half-Time: Hull FC 22-0 St Helens

The Saints hit back straight after the restart after some stern half-time words from head coach Paul Wellens – a strong run from Konrad Hurrell put the visitors into positive field position, allowing James Bell ro race under the sticks. Bennison converted.

FC were back to their 22 point advantage though just four minutes later when Clifford was the creator again – this time it was Cam Scott on the end of one of his superb kicks towards the in-goal. He added a fourth conversion.

Some superb left edge defence with twenty minutes to play kept pacey winger Tee Ritson at bay.

Litten was once again denied a superb diving finish in the corner by the video referee with five minutes to play.

Hull rounded off a memorable evening with Darnell McIntosh going the length of the field with two minutes to go, showing some superb pace to beat the Saints defender and see the Airlie Birds claim their biggest win over the visitors in the league since May 2005.

Full-Time: Hull FC 34-8 St Helens


Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Davy Litten, Cam Scott, Carlos Tuimamave, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Trueman, Jake Clifford, Brad Fash, Danny Houghton, Ligi Sao, Joe Lovodua, Andre Savelio, Joe Cator

Interchange: Chris Satae, Jordan Lane, Ben McNamara, Jack Brown

18th Man: Will Gardiner

St Helens: Jack Welsby, Tee Ritson, Konrad Hurrell, Will Hopoate, Jon Bennison, Jonny Lomax, Lewis Dodd, Alex Walmsley, Morgan Knowles, Matty Lees, Curtis Sironen, Joe Batchelor, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook.

Interchange: James Roby, Sione Mata’utia, Agnatius Paasi, James Bell

18th Man: Joey Lussick


Hull FC Tries: Clifford (6), Tuimavave (15), Trueman (21), Satae (34), Scott (47), McIntosh (78)

Hull FC Goals: Clifford (5/6)

St Helens Tries: Bell (43)

St Helens Goals: Bennison (1/1)

 Peregrine Property Man of the Match: Andre Savelio

Attendance, In Association with Garbutts: 9,937