Match Report: Hull FC 4-18 Warrington Wolves

Match Report: Hull FC 4-18 Warrington Wolves

The Black & Whites were unable to continue their recent positive home form on Saturday afternoon, going down 18-4 to Warrington Wolves at the MKM Stadium.

Club News

The Black & Whites were unable to continue their recent positive home form on Saturday afternoon, going down 18-4 to Warrington Wolves at the MKM Stadium.

A long-range effort from Adam Swift got Tony Smith’s men on the board, but being 12-4 down at the break, Hull were unable to get a foothold in the contest after the restart as the Wolves starved FC of attacking opportunities.

Team News

Tony Smith made two changes to the side that lined-up against Wigan Warriors last time out.

Jamie Shaul and Will Gardiner both came onto the bench in place of the suspended Carlos Tuimavave, and Danny Houghton who missed out due to head injury assessment protocols.

Tex Hoy remained unavailable for selection with a hamstring injury, while Ligi Sao is sidelined with a knee knock and Mitieli Vulikijapani continues his recovery from knee surgery.

The Match

Hull held firm in defence in the opening stages despite the Wolves challenging the FC line – a superb cover tackle from Darnell McIntosh on Matty Ashton as he raced downfield after picking up a loose ball was the pick of the early action.

The Black & Whites opened the scoring on the 15 minute mark with a piece of brilliance from Adam Swift – his one handed pick up on a loose ball from George Williams saw him race eighty metres for his 19th try of the season.

The Wolves hit back mid-way through the first-half as Matt Dufty showed some lovely footwork to skip around the FC defence in front of the sticks and find a simple offload to George Williams to finish the move. Ratchford converted.

Dufty went from creator to scorer for Warrington’s second try of the match, again showing some impressive feet to skip away from the FC defence, and utilise his pace to finish off the break in the corner. Ratchford added a second goal.

Hull were dealt a serious blow before the break when influential half-back Jake Trueman was withdrawn with a serious looking lower leg injury.

Half-Time: Hull FC 4-12 Warrington Wolves

The Wolves extended their lead just short of the hour mark when Matty Ashton collected a looped pass for a walk in in the corner. Ratchford kicked a third goal.

Ashton’s try was the only score of the second-half as the visitors starved the Airlie Birds of attacking chances.

Ultimately it was a frustrating afternoon for the Airlie Birds in which they failed to take their chances.

Full-Time: Hull FC 4-18 Warrington Wolves


Hull FC: Davy Litten, Adam Swift, LIam Sutcliffe, Cam Scott, Darnell McIntosh, Jake Trueman, Jake Clifford, Brad Fash, Brad Dwyer, Chris Satae, Jordan Lane, Andre Savelio, Joe Cator.

Interchange: Joe Lovodua, Jack Brown, Will Gardiner, Jamie Shaul

18th Man: Nick Staveley

Warrington: Matt Dufty, Josh Thewlis, Peter Mata’utia, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Ashton, George Williams, Josh Drinkwater, Thomas Mikaele, Danny Walker, Paul Vaughan, Ben Currie, Matty Nicholson, James Harrison.

Interchange: Daryl Clark, Sam Kasiano, Joe Philbin, Jordan Crowther

18th Man: Leon Hayes


Hull FC Tries: Swift (15)

Hull FC Goals: Sutcliffe (0/1)

Warrington Tries: Williams (22), Dufty (34), Ashton (55)

Warrington Goals: Ratchford (3/3)

Rowe Freight Man of the Match: Adam Swift

Attendance, in association with Garbutts: 11,624