Match Report: St Helens 24-10 Hull FC

Match Report: St Helens 24-10 Hull FC

The Black & Whites tasted defeat for the first time since Good Friday as St Helens claimed the two points at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

Club News

The Black & Whites tasted defeat for the first time since Good Friday as St Helens claimed the two points at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

The reigning champions ran out 24-10 winners thanks to a dominant second-half effort, with Hull looking like contenders for victory in the opening forty.

However, a brace from Darnell McIntosh wasn’t enough for Brett Hodgson’s men who’s winning run of games came to an end.

Team News

 Brett Hodgson made two changes from the side that was victorious over Toulouse Olympique last time out for Hull, with Josh Reynolds returning from suspension to start at half-back and Josh Griffin taking a place on the interchange bench after recovering from knee and ankle injuries, taking the place of Kane Evans who missed out with a pec injury and Denive Balmforth who will represent Yorkshire on Sunday in the Academy Origin fixture.

 Kristian Wolff reshuffled his deck after losing narrowly to Wigan Warriors in the Challenge Cup on Saturday, with James Bell replacing Josh Simm in the matchday 17, but there were further changes as Curtis Sironen was selected at back row, Sione Mata’utia moved to centre and Mark Percival shifted to the wing for just the sixth time in his career.

 The Match

 Saints started the stronger of the sides, forcing an early goal line drop out with a smart kick in behind the Hull defence that Jamie Shaul had to be alert to deal with. From the resulting kick Matty Lees carried hard and Brad Fash was on the end of a serious looking head injury that saw him leave the field after lengthy medical attention.

 A set later St Helens had broken the deadlock. Connor Wynne was harshly penalised for obstructing Tommy Makinson on a kick chase, and Makinson crossed the line on the first play from the penalty after the hosts came back down the short side.

 Hull almost had a reply shortly later after working their way nicely into dangerous position, but Ligi Sao dropped the ball over the line as he was reaching out to score under pressure from several Saints defenders.

 After coming close on a couple of occasions Hull finally got on the scoresheet to level after half an hour, Darnell McIntosh showing a blistering turn of pace to get on the end of a Jake Connor grubber kick and score out wide.

 Hull went close again before the break, Chris Satae hauled down inches from the line before Manu Ma’u slipped out of a tackle but was prevented from scoring by a great tackle from James Bell.

 On the stroke of half time Saints regained the lead, Jack Welsby able to smuggle the ball onto the line despite the attentions of two Hull defenders, with Makinson on the mark for the first time of the evening.

 Half Time: St Helens 10 – 4 Hull FC

 Hull went close with the first set of the second half, Josh Reynolds unable to ground a ball he regathered after Jonny Lomax allowed the ball to bounce.

James Bell was sent to the sin bin a few minutes later for a tip tackle on Carlos Tuimavave that saw the New Zealanader land on his head when carrying the ball, but thankfully was able to get up and continue.

 Despite the man disadvantage Saints were next to cross, but video referee James Childoverturned the initial on field decision of a try to Jack Welsby because of a knock on by Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook when jumping with Jake Connor for a high kick.

 Whilst Bell was in the sin bin Saints extended their lead after Jake Connor was penalised for an altercation with James Roby, with Tommy Makinson kicking a penalty goal from in front of the posts.

 Saints struck next, Konrad Hurrell too big and strong for Hull’s defence when breaking away and he had Jonny Lomax backing up on the inside to score under the posts.

 Makinson doubled his tally for the night when crossing with around 10 minutes left on the clock after more nice work from Konrad Hurrell on Hull’s left, which Makinson converted from the touchline.

 Hull crossed for a late consolation with five minutes left with their first attack of the second half, creating an extra number on the right side of the attack which allowed Carlos Tuimavave to find a pass to Darnell McIntosh that on another day could have been called forward!

 Full Time: St Helens 24 – 10 Hull FC

 The Lineups

 St Helens: Jack Welsby, Tommy Makinson, Konrad Hurrell, Sione Mata’utia, Mark Percival, Ben Davies, Jonny Lomax, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Matty Lees, Curtis Sironen, Joe Batchelor, Morgan Knowles.

Interchange:  Aganatius Paasi, James Bell, Joey Lussick, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook

Hull FC: Jake Connor, Darnell McIntosh, Carlos Tuimavave, Connor Wynne, Jamie Shaul, Josh Reynolds, Joe Lovodua, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Ligi Sao, Jordan Lane, Manu Ma’u, Brad Fash.

Interchange:  Chris Satae, Jack Brown, Jordan Johnstone, Josh Griffin


St Helens: Tries: Tommy Makinson (2), Jack Welsby, Jonny Lomax 

Goals: Tommy Makinson 3/5

Hull FC: Tries: Darnell McIntosh (2) 

Goals: Jake Connor 1/2

Attendance: 11268

Campbell Engineering Man of the Match: Ligi Sao