Match Report: Leeds vs Hull FC

Match Report: Leeds vs Hull FC

The full-match report from St James’ Park

Club News

Hull FC suffered golden-point heartbreak at St James’ Park on Saturday evening as Kruise Leeming’s drop-goal proved the difference in a thrilling Dacia Magic Weekend contest.

The encounter was end-to-end throughout the full eighty minutes, but it was Leeds who claimed the spoils in Newcastle.

Team News

Hull were boosted by the return of both Jamie Shaul and Carlos Tuimavave to the starting line-up.

Both Jordan Lane and Adam Swift dropped out ofthe side through injury.

The Match

It took the Rhinos just four minutes to get the opening score of the game, courtesy of Rhyse Martin. The powerful back-rower charged at the Hull line, and despite efforts from several Hull defenders, managed to touch down. He converted his own try.

He converted their lead further just minutes later with a penalty goal.

Hull though found themselves back in the game on the ten minute mark with their first real attack of the game. A Marc Sneyd grubber into the Leeds in-goal was fumbled by Richie Myler, allowing Danny Houghton to make the most of the error and touch down. Sneyd added the goal.

And the scores were level on the 15 minute mark as Sneyd as he added his own penalty goal.

Hull had the lead mid-way through the half couresty of yet another outstanding assist from Jake Connor – replicating his effort to set up Carlos Tuimavave in the Hull Derby, he patted a the ball over his head from a Sneyd chip into the corner, allowing Tuimavave to touch with ease. Sneyd made it three from three with the boot.

But the end to end nature of the half continued, with Newman scoring a replica try to Martin’s,poering through the Hull line to score. Martin was on target once again.

It looked as if the Black & Whites would have the lead going into half-time, but Jake Connor was deemed to have knocked on by the video referee in the process of assisting Andre Savelio.

Hull would lead at the break though adding another penalty goal before the hooter.

Half-Time: Leeds 14-16 Hull FC

FC began the scoring in the second-half just as they ended the first, with Sneyd slottingo over his third penalty goal.

The balance of the game firmly swung in FC’s favour, with Connor touching down for FC’s third try of the game just short of the 50 minute mark as he slid through a gap and forced the ball down on the line. Sneyd made it five with the boot.

But again, Leeds hit back with Kruise Leeming diving over in the corner to reduce the defecit once more.

It looked as if Leeds had leveled the score courtesy of Jack Briscoe in the corner, but a superb tackle from Mahe Fonua saw him puta foot on the touchline, and be denied by the video referee.

However, the Rhinos did get their try to bring the scores level with Jack Broadbent crossing the try-line with eight minutes to play. Martin missed the kick, and the score remained level.

Chances came for both sides in the closing stages, but neither side could find the crucial score, with the match heading into golden-point extra-time.

It would take until the eighth minute of the extra-time period, but after drop-goal chances for both sides, it was Kruise Leeming who won it with the boot for the Rhinos.

Full-Time: Leeds 25-24 Hull FC


Leeds: Broadbent, Briscoe, Newman, Briscoe, Handley, Lui, Myler, Vuniyayawa, Leeming, Prior, Gannon, Martin, Thompson.

Interchange: Dwyer, Donaldson, Holroyd, Smith.

Hull: Shaul, Faraimo, Tuimavave, Scott, Fonua, Connor, Sneyd, Sao, Houghton, Satae, Savelio, Ma’u, Johnstone.

Interchange: Fash, Bowden, McNamara, Wynne.


Leeds Tries: Martin (4), Newman (26), Leeming (55), Broadbent (72)

Leeds Goals: Martin (4/5)

Leeds Drop-Goal: Leeming (87)

Hull Tries: Houghton (10), Tuimavave (23), Connor (48)

Hull Goals: Sneyd (6/6)