Match Report: Hull FC 12-22 Leeds Rhinos

Match Report: Hull FC 12-22 Leeds Rhinos

The match report as FC faced the Rhinos at the MKM Stadium

Match Report News

A second-half comeback from Leeds Rhinos saw Hull fall to a second consecutive defeat, with the West Yorkshire side claiming a 12-22 win at the MKM Stadium on Thursday evening.

Three tries in the final 25 minutes of the game for the Rhinos from Brad Dwyer, Richie Myler, and Cameron Smith secured the win for Richard Agar’s men.

Hull had tries from Adam Swift and Carlos Tuimavave, but it wasn’t enough in a game dominated by defences until the hour mark.

Team News

The Black & Whites were boosted by the return of five key players, with Connor Wynne, Bureta Faraimo, Josh Reynolds, Manu Ma’u, and Joe Cator all coming into the starting thirteen.

Marc Sneyd started in the halves alongside Reynolds, making his 250th career appearance, while Brad Fash made his 100th club appearance just a day after signing a new two-year contract with the club.

The Match

Hull had the best of the ball in the early stages, piling pressure on the Leeds line and forcing three consecutive goal-line drop-outs as the ten minute mark passed, but FC couldn’t make the most of their opportunities.

It was Leeds though who took an early lead with Rhyse Martin adding a penalty goal on the 15 minute mark.

Hull did finally get over the line for the first try of the game ten minutes later though, when some superb play from Josh Reynolds saw Hull send the ball left to Adam Swift, who finished off the move for his tenth league try of the season.

Hull and the Rhinos traded further penalty goals before the break to see FC take a slender half-time lead into the sheds.

Half-Time: Hull FC 6-4 Leeds

Leeds had a golden opportunity to earn the first try of the half with a break down the left flank just minutes after the restart; Ash Handley’s pass to Kruise Leeming should have ensured a walk-in effort, but the hooker fumbled the ball over the line.

The Rhinos then thought they had their first score just short of the hour mark, but Oledzki was denied by the video referee for being short of the line.

It didn’t matter, however, as the Rhinos managed to get themselves over the line just seconds later as Brad Dwyer darted out of dummy-half to dive over. Martin converted to make it a four point lead.

The visitors hit Hull with two tries in quick succession, as a short ball from Leeming found Richie Myler who darted though a gap in the FC line to score under the sticks. Martin’s fourth goal of the night made it a ten point lead.

Richard Agar’s men added to Hull’s second-half woes, when Cameron Smith powered over from close range with ten minutes to play. Josh Reynolds and Richie Myler were sent to the sinbin for an altercation after the try was scored.

Hull added a late consultation through Carlos Tuimavave in the closing stages.

Full-Time: Hull FC 12-22 Leeds


Hull FC: Connor Wynne, Adam Swift, Carlos Tuimavave, Mahe Fonua, Bureta Faraimo, Josh Reynolds, Marc Sneyd, Ligi Sao, Danny Houghton, Chris Satae, Jordan Lane, Manu Ma’u, Joe Cator.

Interchange: Jordan Johnstone, Brad Fash, Josh Bowden, Cameron Scott.

Leeds: Richie Myler, Tom Briscoe, Konrad Hurrell, Harry Newman, Ash Handley, Callum McLelland, Luke Gale, Mikolaj Oledzki, Jruise Leeming, Matt Prior, Alex Mellor, Rhyse Martin, Zane Tetevano.

Interchange: Brad Dwyer, Cameron Smith, King Vuniyayawa, James Donaldson.


Hull FC Tries: Swift (25), Tuimavave (77)

Hull FC Goals: Sneyd (2/3)

Leeds Tries: Dwyer (58), Myler (64), Smith (69)

Leeds Goals: Martin (5/5)