Memorable Matches: Wakefield Trinity

Memorable Matches: Wakefield Trinity

The Black & Whites were originally scheduled to face Wakefield Trinity this week – look back at five memorable clashes against the West Yorkshire side.

Club News

The Black & Whites were originally scheduled to face Wakefield Trinity this week – look back at five memorable clashes against the West Yorkshire side.

April 2018 – Hull FC 27-26 Wakefield Trinity 

Hull FC gained an early 8-0 lead thanks to a try from Jordan Abdull and penalty from Marc Sneyd, but Wakefield soon hit back emphatically before half-time as the visitors raced into an 18-8 lead as Bill Tupou bagged a brace and Mason Caton-Brown got over too.

However, the Black & Whites did not lie down and fought their way back into the match through a brace from Fetuli Talanoa and a try for Albert Kelly.

Trinity were not willing to give up the game easily however, as Caton-Brown locked the scores at 26-26 after Batchelor had added a penalty.

With 90 seconds left in an already breath-taking encounter, all eyes were on Marc Sneyd from 50 metres out, with the scrum-half booming a drop-goal from the halfway line to seal the win for Hull FC.

July 2008 – Wakefield Wildcats 24-32 Hull FC 

Hull FC reached the Challenge Cup Final after an enthralling victory over Wakefield in Doncaster.

Second-rower Danny Tickle bagged a brace before Graeme Horne got over as the Black & Whites took a commanding 18-0 lead after just 8 minutes, but the then-Wildcats soon hit back. Ryan Atkins played Peterson in at the corner, before Damien Blanch latched onto Danny Brough’s kick to reduce the deficit to just 8 points.

However, Oliver Wilkes’ error allowed Black & White prop Peter Cusack to extend Hull’s advantage, before Wakefield one again responded through Leo-Latu. Atkins then turned from provider to scorer as the West Yorkshire outfit narrowed Hull FC’s advantage to just four points at the break.

Hull added tempo from the restart to get Washbrook over, but Wakefield again would not wave the white flag as Blanch bagged his brace, but it would not be enough as the Black & Whites held-on to book their place in the 2008 Challenge Cup Final.

September 2016 – Wakefield Trinity 12-18 Hull FC 

The first meeting between the two sides in the Super 8’s resulted in Hull FC claiming a dramatic victory.

Wakefield were first to post points as Arundel touched down from Craig Hall’s kick, but that try would be cancelled out by former Wakefield player Danny Washbrook, with Sneyd adding the conversion to level the scores.

Jordan Thompson touched down just after half-time, but Trinity responded through Johnstone to draw the scores level.

With time running out, a moment of Mahe magic sealed the win for Hull FC.

The explosive back picked the ball up on his own 40 metre line before breaking through, carrying both Tom Johnstone and Max Jowitt with him for the final twenty metres. Fonua got the ball away to Michaels, who was held just short of the Wakefield line, but that would only delay the inevitable as Fonua sneaked over from dummy-half on the next tackle to claim the two points for Hull FC.

June 2011 – Wakefield Wildcats 18-52 Hull FC 

Despite finding themselves 12-0 down early on, Hull FC recorded a big win over Wakefield at Belle Vue.

Tries from Joe Westerman, Kirk Yeaman and Richard Horne meant that FC held a slender 16-12 lead at half-time, but it would be all one-way traffic in the second half as tries from Danny Tickle, Jordan Turner, Mark O’Meley, Tom Briscoe, Lee Radford and a brace, including a full-length try for Richard Whiting saw the Airlie Birds record a heavy victory over Wakefield at Belle Vue.

February 2017 – Wakefield Trinity 8-12 Hull FC 

Jake Connor enjoyed a dream Hull FC debut as the Black & Whites opened their 2017 campaign with a win at Wakefield in torrential conditions.

Three penalty goals from Marc Sneyd and one from Sam Williams meant that Hull FC lead 6-2 at half-time, but the Trinity pushed themselves ahead in the second-half as Grix got the game’s first try, only for Jake Connor to save Hull FC and touch down Sneyd’s kick as the Black & Whites took the two points back to the KCOM Stadium.