Match Report: Hull FC 36-18 Castleford Tigers

Match Report: Hull FC 36-18 Castleford Tigers

The Black & Whites put in a superb second-half display a crucial two-points at the MKM Stadium over Castleford in the club’s annual Armed Forces Match Day.

Club News

The Black & Whites put in a superb second-half display a crucial two-points at the MKM Stadium over Castleford in the club’s annual Armed Forces Match Day.

Tony Smith’s side continued their push for a play-off spot and made it back-to-back victories after heading into the sheds level at half-time after a scrappy opening forty for both sides.

But FC blew the Tigers out of the water after the restart with five tries over a twenty minute period taking the scoreline out of reach of the struggling West Yorkshire side.

Team News

Smith made four changes to the side that was named for the match in East Hull last weekend, boosted by the return of Liam Sutcliffe and Andre Savelio who missed the derby.

Davy Litten also came into the starting line-up at full-back, alongside Harvey Barron who made his first appearance of the season.

The incoming quartet replaced Tex Hoy (hamstring), Darnell McIntosh (Achilles), Jack Brown, and Will Gardiner.

The Match

Hull opened the scoring after just six minutes; a high kick into the corner couldn’t be dealt with by the Tigers defence, with the ball ending up in the arms of Adam Swift who drove for the corner for the opening score. Clifford missed his opening kick.

The Tigers hit back when some poor defence from Hull saw Elliot Wallis dive over in the corner on the stroke of the ten minute mark. Widdop added the extras.

Hull hit back on the half-way mark of the opening forty when skipper Carlos Tuimavave took a short ball and stepped his way over the line. Clifford missed a second kick however.

Widdop leveled the scores though shortly after when converting a Tigers penalty goal in front of the sticks.

Half-Time: Hull FC 8-8 Castleford Tigers

An incredible start to the second-half saw the Black & Whites take control of the contest with back-to-back scores – Chris Satae powered over from close range to put Hull ahead before a barraging run out of his own half after the restart saw Adam Swift in support, racing away for a try of the season contender. Sutcliffe took over the kicking duties and converted both.

The Tigers immediately responded though with jack Broadbent slipping though a gap in the FC defensive line and racing away to touch down under the sticks. Widdop added the goal.

Castleford immediately dropped the restart putting FC in great field position to bounce back. And they did in the resulting set with young full-back Davy Litten driving for the line and scurrying over in the corner. Sutcliffe missed the kick on this occasion.

Cam Scott had a second to add to his tally when he slipped out of the Tigers tackle with 15 minutes to go and danced over the line. Sutcliffe converted.

Castleford added a consultation when Bureta Faraimo charged over in the corner against his former side with a powerful run.

Full-Time: Hull FC 36-18 Castleford Tigers


Hull FC: Davy Litten, Adam Swift, Liam Sutcliffe, Carlos Tuimavave, Harvey Barron, Jake Trueman, Jake Clifford, Brad Fash, Danny Houghton, Ligi Sao, Cam Scott, Andre Savelio, Joe Cator.

Interchange: Chris Satae, Jordan Lane, Scott Taylor, Brad Dwyer.

18th Man: Joe Lovodua.

Castleford: Gareth Widdop, Bureta Faraimo, Mahe Fonua, Jack Broadbent, Elliot Wallis, Riley Dean, Jacob Miller, Liam Watts, Jordan Johnstone, Albert Vete, Alex Mellor, Kenny Edwards, Joe Westerman.

Interchange: George Griffin, Alex Sutcliffe, Muizz Mustapha, Sam Hall.

18th Man: Cain Robb


Hull FC Tries: Swift (6,46), Tuimavave (21), Satae (44), Litten (55), Scott (57,68)

Hull FC Goals: Clifford (0/2), Sutcliffe (4/5)

Castleford Tries: Wallis (11), Broadbent (49), Faraimo (70)

Castleford Goals: Widdop (3/4)

Peregrine Property Man of the Match: Chris Satae

Attendance, in association with Garbutts: 12,352