Hull FC
St Helens

Match Report: Hull FC 6-22 St Helens

A brave performance from the Black & Whites wasn’t enough in their final home game of the 2019 season to secure a play-off spot as they went down 6-22 to St Helens last night.

Tommy Makinson’s first-half hat-trick showed the League Leaders Shield winners’ class, and although the Airlie Birds showed desire in both attack and defence throughout the clash, FC ultimately fell short of the required victory to claim a play-off spot.

Team News

Mark Minichiello started his final game at the KCOM Stadium, partnered by Jordan Lane in the back-row.

Sika Manu and Mickey Peae missed out on selection, while Jake Connor started the game on the bench.

Tevita Satae mada his first start for the club.

The Match

The visitors opened the scoring before the ten minute mark with a trademark diving finish from Tommy Makinson in the corner, but Coote failed to convert.

Saints soon had a second through Makinson once more as he collected a pinpoint accurate kick into the corner from Theo Fages. Coote was on target this time.

But after some prolonged pressure on the Saints line, Hull finally got their first try after 27 minutes courtesy of Scott Taylor. Some fine off the cuff play from Carlos Tuimavave and Jamie Shaul kept the ball alive for FC on the final tackle, resulting in Taylor crashing over under the sticks after receiving an offload from Tuimavave. Sneyd was on target with the boot.

It looked as if Hull had took the scores level when Sneyd had chased his own kick through to the in-goal area, but the referee had deemed he knocked on in the process of scoring.

It was a sucker-punch for Hull as Saints quickly moved the ball down the other end of the field, with Makinson completing a first-half hat-trick in the corner. Coote missed the kick.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 6-14 St Helens

Some early second-half pressure almost resulted in the Black & Whites hitting back when Ratu Naulago looked to get on the end of an Albert Kelly cross-field kick, but the Fijian couldn’t quite ground the ball.

But Saints went further ahead with 18 minutes left in the contest when Mark Percival found space in the corner to touch down. Coote’s missed kick meant Hull were 12 behind.

The contest was sealed and any sort of late comeback from Hull was quashed when Regan Grace raced over with a breakaway effort in the final five minutes.

Hull had battled hard and show energy and pride in the contest, but ultimtely the result saw them fall short of the victory they needed to finish in 5th place and make the play-offs.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 6-22 St Helens


Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Ratu Naulago, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Bureta Faraimo, Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Tevita Satae, Mark Minichiello, Jordan Lane, Gareth Ellis.

Interchange: Josh Bowden, Jake Connor, Brad Fash, Masi Matongo.

St Helens: Lachlan Coote, Thomas Makinson, Kevin Naiqama, Mark Percival, Regan Grace, Jonny Lomax, Theo Fages, Alex Walmsley, James Roby, Luke Thompson, Zeb Taia, Dominique Peyroux, Morgan Knowles.

Interchange: Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Kyle Amor, Jack Ashworth, James Bentley.


Hull FC Tries: Taylor (27)

Goals: Sneyd (1/1)

St Helens Tries: Makinson (8,14,33), Percival (62), Grace (75)

Goals: Coote (1/5)

Story Sponsor

2020 Principal Jersey