Hull FC
Salford Red Devils

Match Report: Hull FC 22-44 Salford Red Devils

The Black & Whites fell away in a poor second-half performance to play-off chasing Salford, going down 44-22 at the KCOM Stadium.

Hull enjoyed an impressive spell in the first-half with three tries in quick succession, but a flurry of scores early in the second-half from the visitors put them well in control.

Braces from Ken Sio, Lee Mossop and Krisnan Inu scored braces as the Devils continue the push for the play-offs.

Team News

Hull welcomed Tevita Satae into the side to make his first appearance for the club since joining from New Zealand Warriors last week.

He was joined in the team by Joe Westerman and Mickey Paea who recovered from illness and a shoulder injury to take their place, alongside Kieran Buchanan who started from the bench.

Hull remained without first-teamers Albert Kelly (rib), Sika Manu (calf), and Andre Savelio (foot), as well as Masi Matongo (sternum) and Mark Minichiello (groin).

The Match

Salford struck first through Ken Sio after a strong start to the game, the winger crossing in the corner, with Inu converting from the sideline.

Hull came back strongly, Scott Taylor getting over for Hull’s first of the afternoon after a short pass from Marc Sneyd, with the former Salford man converting the try.

Taylor’s fellow prop Mickey Paea was next to cross the whitewash, again after good work from Sneyd; Paea crashed onto Danny Houghton’s short ball next to the posts, with Sneyd again converting.

Sneyd and Paea were also involved in Hull’s next try, the Tongan hitting Sneyd with a wide pass, he fired a long ball to Griffin in front of Kris Welham chasing an intercept, Griffin tipped onto Bureta Faraimo who finished strongly in the corner.

Salford had the best of the latter stages of the half, Lee Mossop crashing over next to the posts to reduce the deficit, before Kenny Sio went over for his second of the afternoon on the right hand touchline. Inu couldn’t convert, and the scores were level at half time.

HALF-TIME: Salford Red Devils 16-16 Hull FC

Salford started the second half strongly, scoring the first points of the half just two minutes in, Jake Bibby priving too strong for the Hull defence to power over.

Mossop was the next player to grab his second try of the match, after two quick play the balls created space next to the posts the former Wigan man was too strong and scored.

In a lacklustre second-half, the Black & Whites conceded two scores from Krisnan Inu, as well as an impressive breakaway effort from key man Jackson Hastings.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 22-44 Salford Red Devils


Salford:Niall Evalds, Ken Sio, Kris Welham, Jake Bibby, Krisnan Inu, Tui Lolohea, Jackson Hastings, Lee Mossop, Logan Tomkins, Adam Walker, Josh Jones, Ryan Lannon, Greg Burke.

Interchange: Mark Flanagan, Joey Lussick, Ben Nakubuwai, Josh Johnson.

Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Bureta Faraimo, Josh Griffin, Carlos Tuimavave, Ratu Naulago, Jake Connor, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Mickey Paea, Jordan Lane, Joe Westerman, Gareth Ellis.

Interchange: Tevita Satae, Brad Fash, Kieran Buchanan, Josh Bowden


Salford Tries: Sio (2), Mossop (2), Bibby, Inu (2), Hastings

Salford Goals: Inu (6/8)

Hull FC Tries: Taylor, Paea, Faraimo

Hull FC Goals: Sneyd (3/4)

Story Sponsor

Alternate Range Offer