Match Report: Hull FC 29-16 Castleford Tigers

Match Report: Hull FC 29-16 Castleford Tigers

The match report as Hull FC met Castleford Tigers in the Coral Challenge Cup

Match Report News

Hull FC progressed to the quarter-finals of the Coral Challenge Cup after defeating Castleford Tigers 29-16 at the Totally Wicked Stadium.

It was announced earlier today that Carlos Tuimavave has penned a four-year contract extension, and the Samoan centre made the day even better by scoring a brace.

Kelly and Naulago were also on the score sheet for the Black & Whites, who progressed through their first fixture in the competition for a sixth straight year.

Team News

Just three days after an injury-hit Hull FC side defeated Wakefield Trinity on this ground, Andy Last was afforded the luxury of welcoming back a series of senior players for this afternoon’s cup clash.

Jamie Shaul, Ratu Naulago, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Gareth Ellis, Jordan Johnstone, Manu Ma’u and Ligi Sao all came into the matchday squad.

Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor and Josh Jones were unavailable for the match.

Although listed in Daryl Powell’s 21-man-squad, young halfback Jake Trueman did not make the cut, so Peter Mata’utia deputised in the halves.

Former Cronulla Sharks outside back Sosaia Feki made his long-awaited debut for the Tigers, whilst Cheyse Blair returned for Castleford.

Loan player Gareth O’Brien was unavailable for Castleford, having featured in the earlier rounds of the competition for Toronto Wolfpack.

The Match

Fresh from signing a new four-year deal with the five-time Challenge Cup winners, Tuimavave celebrated the occasion with the game’s opening try.

It was Shaul who did the hard work, wriggling free of two tackles from 40 metres out. Some lovely inside-out passing between the fullback and Kelly isolated Clare, and Tuimavave was supporting to receive the ball and score underneath the sticks. Connor added the two with ease.

Hull were made to pay for back-to-back set restarts, as George Griffin ran onto a short pass and crashed over the whitewash to the left of the sticks. Richardson’s conversion levelled the scores after eighteen minutes.

A metre-eating set from Hull FC earned them a second try of the afternoon – once again it was Kelly, Shaul and Tuimavave involved in the move.

This time, Tuimavave sliced through, finding Shaul in support, and Kelly was on hand to score underneath the sticks. The flags went up from Connor’s conversion, giving FC a 12-6 lead with eight minutes until the break.

The Tigers looked to have got a try back just a few minutes before half-time as some nice interchange play freed up Clare in the corner. However, exemplary defence from Hull forced an error and the 12-6 lead remained in tact.

A missed drop-goal attempt from Jake Connor gifted Castleford a seven-tackle set with one minute remaining in the first half. But on the offensive, the Tigers gifted possession back to FC as Tuimavave swooped with an interception to score his second try of the match. Connor converted to make it 18-6.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 18-6 Castleford Tigers

Hull started the second half in sensational fashion, and it was all thanks to some stellar defensive work from Bureta Faraimo. He took a high kick with a foot inside his in-goal area, rushed to tap the ball on the 20-metre line and sent Naulago bounding away, leaving every Castleford defender behind in his wake. Connor converted.

However, in the blink of an eye, Castleford responded. From a short kick-off, the Tigers regained possession and hit back immediately, with Oliver Holmes finding a gap in the FC defence. Richardson added the extras.

An excellent 40/20 from Richardson gifted Castleford some valuable field position and Daryl Powell’s side took full advantage. Paul McShane found Mata’utia on his outside shoulder and the Samoan dived over. The angle was too tight for Richardson to convert, though.

In a bid to raise the pressure and keep the scoreboard ticking, Hull took the opportunity to add two more points. A high tackle lead to a penalty, which Connor converted from in front of the sticks, making it 26-16 to the Black & Whites.

Following another high tackle, Connor notched another penalty goal with four minutes remaining from just inside the Castleford half, taking the scores to 28-16.

Connor, who boasted a 100% kicking ratio through the match, crowned his pinpoint accuracy with one more point, dropping a goal from close range with less than two minutes remaining.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 29-16 Castleford Tigers

Squads & Scorers

Hull: Jamie Shaul, Ratu Naulago, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Bureta Faraimo, Jake Connor, Albert Kelly, Gareth Ellis, Jordan Johnstone, Brad Fash, Jordan Lane, Manu Ma’u, Joe Cator

Hull Interchanges: Mahe Fonua, Danny Houghton, Ligi Sao, Chris Satae

Hull Tries: Tuimavave (2), Kelly, Naulago

Hull Goals: Connor (6/6), (DG)

Castleford: James Clare, Derrell Olpherts, Michael Shenton, Cheyse Blair, Sosaia Feki, Peter Mata’utia, Danny Richardson, Liam Watts, Paul McShane, George Griffin, Oliver Holmes, Mike McMeeken, Jacques O’Neill

Castleford Interchanges: Tyla Hepi, Grant Millington, Adam Milner, Calum Turner

Castleford Tries: Griffin, Holmes, Mata’utia

Castleford Goals: Richardson (2/3)