Memorable Matches: Castleford Tigers (A)

Memorable Matches: Castleford Tigers (A)

With the Black & Whites originally scheduled to face Castleford Tigers at the Jungle this weekend, we’re looking back at five memorable clashes at the Jungle for the Airlie Birds.

Club News

With the Black & Whites originally scheduled to face Castleford Tigers at the Jungle this weekend, we’re looking back at five memorable clashes at the Jungle for the Airlie Birds.

2003: Castleford 26-26 Hull FC

Having led comfortably at the Jungle back in May 2003, the Black & Whites only walked away with a point after the most dramatic of comebacks in the last ten minutes from the hosts.

FC were 26-8 ahead going into the closing stages of the contest, with Richie Barnett scoring a brace while Colin Best, Richard Horne and Steve Prescott also had got their name on the scoresheet.

However the Tigers would find their second wind and claim the first draw of the season. Danny Orr’s score on 71 minutes seemed a consolation, but Hull’s player of the match Barnett was at fault for a second try moments later with his crazy pass handing Wayne Bartrim a simple score.

And remarkably the Tigers leveled the score with just minutes to play, with Damien Gibson dummying his way over after taking Orr’s kick, as Bartrim landed the equalizing conversion.

2011: Castleford 18-50 Hull FC

Hull recorded their biggest points haul at the Jungle in 17 years back in 2011 when they put half a century of points past their hosts.

FC crossed the whitewash nine times with Tom Briscoe, Willie Manu and Jordan Turner all scoring braces. Danny Houghton, Will Sharp and Kirk Yeaman all also got their names on the scoresheet.

The victory saw Hull seal a play-off spot and continue a magnificent vein of form that had seen them score 148 points in just three matches.

2016: Castleford 22-24 Hull FC

The Black & Whites were in incredible form when they beat Castleford back in 2016 to claim their eighth win in a row and go two points clear at the top of the Super League table.

The Tigers flew out the blocks with scores from Luke Dorn and Jake Webster putting them ahead, but Hull were soon in control with Danny Houghton, Frank Pritchard and Mahe Fonua all scoring before the break.

In a tense second-half, Paddy Flynn and Denny Solomona crossed to bring the scores level before Jamie Shaul saw Hull hit the front once more in the final stages.

But the drama wasn’t done there; Solomona dove over in the corner spectacularly to bring the Tigers within touching distance of a point, but ex-FC man Danny Tickle could not convert from the sideline.

2017: Castleford 16-48 Hull FC

Castleford were the team to beat in 2017, but with their place in the Super League semi-finals already confirmed in the final game of the 2017 Super 8s, the Black & Whites ran riot at the Jungle to confirm their own spot in the next stage of the competition.

As the Tigers rested some key names, Hull ran in nine tries, featuring a hat-trick for Jake Connor with the result meaning they could no longer be caught by Wigan and therefore a semi spot was sealed.

Tigers youngster Tuoyo Egodo would score a hat-trick for the hosts, but with Jamie Shaul’s brace and Kelly, Houghton and Tuimavave all also on the scoresheet, Hull were too powerful for their West Yorkshire opposition.

2019: Castleford 18-31 Hull FC

Albert Kelly was the start of the show in our last victory at the Jungle back in 2019 with an impressive hat-trick on a night of spectacular tries.

The Tigers led 14-4 at the break with Hull’s only try having come through Ratu Naulago with a diving finish in the corner, but Hull were too strong in the second-half dominating the game. Tries from Naulago again and Kelly with his first brought Hull ahead before Greg Eden made the scores 18-a-piece.

But in one of his finest performances in a Black & White shirt, Kelly would get over the line twice more to complete his treble and give Hull their third consecutive win.