This website uses cookies (view our policy)  or  accept and close.
Cup QF - Top Banner
Image Copyright: Hull FC Super League Ltd.


By | 15/04/2012

A brave first half display from Hull FC eventually proved to be in vain at the KC Stadium this afternoon as they were knocked out of the Carnegie Challenge Cup by Huddersfield Giants.

An impressive opening 40 minutes from the injury-hit Black and Whites had seen them open up a 14-0 lead thanks to a brace of tries from winger Tom Briscoe and three Danny Tickle goals.

However, a try on the stroke of half time from Luke George got the Giants back into the game and they made the most of their opportunity by running in six second half tries.

George scored his double just two minutes after the break and he was followed over the line by Leroy Cudjoe (2), Greg Eden and Joe Wardle as the Super League table-toppers ran riot against a young Hull side to book their place in the fifth round with a 42-16 victory.

The Match

With injuries mounting for the Black and Whites, Hull FC head coach Peter Gentle handed youngsters Chris Green and Liam Kent a place on the bench for only their second and third first team games respectively.

Eighteen-year-old centre Ben Crooks, the son of former Hull great Lee Crooks, also made his debut as a substitute as FC felt the bite of an injury list that included eight first team players.

With Martin Aspinwall, Kirk Yeaman and Wade McKinnon additional casualties from Easter Monday’s Super League tie between the sides, under-20s starlet Reece Lyne was handed a start at full back, while Gentle received a welcome boost of experience from the returning Sam Moa and Tony Martin.

In contrast, Giants boss Nathan Brown had the luxury of a fully fit squad to select from and handed recalls to former Australian international Luke O’Donnell and top try-scorer Luke George, while David Faiumu and Lee Gilmour were also added to the side which defeated the Black and Whites 22-4 just six days ago.

However, it was Hull FC who started the stronger of the two teams, making breaks through Lyne and Tom Briscoe during an impressive first 10 minutes. And it was Briscoe who opened the scoring with 12 minutes on the clock as he finished a flowing move in the left corner.

It was back rower Willie Manu who laid the platform, his offload creating havoc in the Giants defence and giving Jordan Turner the space to put Briscoe over, the winger finishing the try well under heavy pressure.

Danny Tickle stepped up to land the touchline conversion to give Hull a 6-0 lead and he was on target again from a tough angle after 25 minutes when converting Hull’s second try of the game.

Again, it was England international Briscoe who capitalised on some free-flowing rugby in the left corner to extend his side’s lead, but it came on the back of some impressive defence from Gentle’s men.

Twice keeping the Giants at bay with solid defence on their goal line after making mistakes bringing the ball away from the danger zone, the Black and Whites advanced downfield to take advantage.

First, a clever Brett Seymour kick on the last tackle earned his side a drop-out and from the next set of six, Jamie Ellis instigated a set play involving Manu and Turner, the latter providing the assist to his winger.

With Tickle’s conversion, the Airlie Bird’s had opened up a well-deserved 12-0 lead and that was stretched by a further two points four minutes before half-time.

It again came on the back of a repeat set, this time Ellis with the kick, and after Danny Houghton put Tickle through a hole, a high shot on the second rower gave him the opportunity to slot the resulting penalty through the posts.

However, Huddersfield hit back on the stroke of half-time, a Seymour error from the kick off giving them crucial field position and Kevin Brown fired a long pass to Luke George for the winger to cross three metres inside the left corner flag.

The pass looked forward to those in the crowd, but referee Thiery Alibert awarded the try and a Danny Brough conversion made the scores 14-6 at half-time.

Huddersfield then further reduced the arrears just three minutes into the second half when George bagged his second try of the match. Again it came from a silly Hull error as Ellis failed to find touch with a penalty just two tackles after the break.

The Giants gleefully seized the opportunity to send George in for his second with a blind side move on the last tackle. Brough missed the conversion, but Hull had made the worst possible start as they saw their lead cut to just four points.

To their credit, the Black and Whites made an immediate response and Tickle’s second penalty of the game took the scores to 16-10 with 33 minutes left on the clock.

This time it was substitute Richard Whiting who was held down in front of the posts and Hull took the points, but Greg Eden immediately responded with a try in the corner as the Giants made the most of playing with the wind in the second half to pile on the pressure.

Lyne did well to force his opposite number out wide with great covering play and Brough missed the difficult conversion to leave Hull with a narrow two-point lead with 30 minutes left of the game left.

And with Briscoe failing to touch down a golden chance in the Huddersfield in-goal area as an Ellis kick popped up into his hand, the Giants took advantage of more sloppy Hull defending minutes later to take the lead for the first time in the game, Leroy Cudjoe breaking the line and racing 90 metres to score under the posts in a sign of what was to come.

Brough added the simple extras to give Huddersfield a 20-16 advantage and the Giants sealed the game with another length-of-the-field effort from the kick-off, Joe Wardle this time sprinting down the touchline to punish poor Hull defence.

Cudjoe then beat Crooks on the outside as the young centre came on to the pitch off the bench, the Huddersfield man securing his second try of the match as his side ran riot against a young Hull side, before hooker Luke Robinson dived over from dummy half as Hull’s legs tired.

With the Giants now leading 36-16 as the score ran away from the Black and Whites, another Hull error was punished ruthlessly as the Giants broke away from their own line once more for Jason Chan to score.

Brough's conversion left the scores at 42-16 and although undeserved for a brave Hull side, there was no denying Huddersfield's pace and power in the backs as they booked their place in the next round, while Hull's Wembley hopes must wait for another year. 

Hull FC: Lyne, Sharp, Martin, Turner, Briscoe, Ellis, Seymour, Moa, Houghton, Lynch, Manu, Tickle, Pitts.

Subs: Green, Whiting, Kent, Crooks.

Tries: Briscoe (2)

Goals: Tickle (4/4)

Huddersfield Giants: Eden, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, George, Brough, Grix, Crabtree, Robinson, Gilmour, Lawrence, Chan, Brown.

Subs: Faiumu, Fa’alogo, Patrick, O’Donnell.

Tries: George (2), Cudjoe (2), Eden, Wardle, Chan

Goals: Brough (6/8)

Referee: T Alibert

Attendance: 8,327

Story Sponsor:
KC Lightstream

Match News


The Black and Whites moved two points clear at the top of the First Utility Super League table with victory over rivals Hull Kingston Rovers at the Dacia Magic Weekend in Newcastle.


Hull FC earned their ninth win in ten games to go joint top of the First Utility Super League table.


The Black and Whites head to the DW Stadium this evening looking to continue their incredible run of form with a ninth win in ten games.
Saints Side Advert

Official Sponsors


Contact Us

KC Stadium
West Park, Hull, HU3 6HU
Tel: 01482 327200
Fax: 01482 587002
Ticket Office: 01482 505 600
© 2016 Hull FC. All rights reserved.
Data managed and maintained by Bill Dalton (honorary club historian)
Designed and powered by Sportradar