This website uses cookies (view our policy)  or  accept and close.
Cup QF - Top Banner
Image Copyright: Hull FC Super League Ltd.


By | 06/04/2012

A Jordan Turner hat-trick, the first in 15 years in Hull derbies, was the highlight of an outstanding team performance from Hull FC this afternoon as the Black and Whites ran away 36-6 winners against rivals Hull KR.

The Airlie Birds had looked the stronger side in a close-fought opening 40 minutes, but needed a try from the returning Lee Radford to level the scores four minutes before the break after Craig Hall had put the Robins in front.

However, when Turner scored the first of his two tries in the opening 60 seconds of the second half, the Black and Whites never looked back as Peter Gentle’s side powered to a fully deserved sixth win on the bounce.

Turner would go on to complete a second half hat-trick, the third try coming with a length-of-the field run in the final minute, while Brett Seymour and Kirk Yeaman also crossed, the latter an outstanding 60m try involving several players that typified some expansive and entertaining rugby from Hull, who top the Stobart Super League for a few hours at least.

The Match

The Black and Whites entered the game missing several first team players, Tony Martin, Eamon O’Carroll and Chris Green picking up injuries in last week’s 24-18 win over Bradford Bulls to join the likes of Mark O’Meley, Joe Westerman and Aaron Heremaia on the sidelines.

With Sam Moa also allowed to return to Australia on compassionate grounds, it meant a debut for new signing Jay Pitts from the bench, while assistant coach Lee Radford came out of retirement to take his place in the front row alongside captain Andy Lynch.

Ad it was Radford who drew the first cheer of the afternoon, his fearsome drive on the first tackle sending a Hull KR defender flying in a sign of what was to come.

With plenty of penalties in the opening 10 minutes, both teams squandered opportunities in good attacking positions before Hull hooker Danny Houghton had a try ruled out for offside as he followed up a Richard Horne kick into the in-goal area.

Eight minutes later a Brett Seymour kick was just too high for the onrushing Will Sharp to take as the Airlie Birds continued to look threatening close to the opposition line, but with the Robins looking equally threatening with the ball, you could feel the tension among the biggest crowd at the KC Stadium this season.

There was no doubt that it was Hull FC who were having the greater possession in the opening 30 minutes, however, and Rovers defenders had to move quickly to make two crucial interceptions in their own red zone, while solid defence also held McKinnon up over the line as the Hull full back shrugged off two tackles to threaten a score.

And the Robins would capitalise seven minutes before the break to open the scores, Craig Hall claiming a high Michael Dobson kick under the posts to cross, although Hull will feel aggrieved about a forward pass on the previous tackle.

But with Dobson’s conversion, the visitors led 6-0 against the run of play although their lead lasted barely four minutes.

It would be Radford who would make a fairytale return to the side to bring the scores level, the prop forward thrown back on to the field by head coach Peter Gentle at the end of the half and he made the most of the chance by crashing over after Seymour showed neat footwork to create the opening, his offload sending the testimonial man in to the left of the posts.

Danny Tickle added the simple conversion to tie the scores at half-time after an enthralling first 40 minutes.

And the Black and Whites took the lead for the first time in the match barely 60 seconds into the second half. Forcing an error from Rovers on the first tackle after the kick-off, first Tom Briscoe threatened on the left wing before Hull switched the play to send centre Jordan Turner over on the right.

Referee Richard Silverwood went to the video referee and with Turner getting the nod on the benefit of the doubt, Hull led 10-6.

That soon became 12-6 thanks to the boot of Tickle as he tagged on the extras in a dramatic start to the second half and the second row forward extended his team’s advantage by a further two points after another powerful Radford run caught the Rovers defence offside under the posts.

However, the Red and Whites wouldn’t lie down and came roaring back, Hull having to be strong in defence to contain a big and physical Robins pack. Then Turner made a searing break as the Black and Whites counter-attacked, his kick inside cleared by Dobson when a pass to his supporting players was perhaps the better option.

But with Hull forcing two drop-outs in the space of five fast and furious minutes during an end-to-end encounter, the Black and Whites sensed an opportunity to stretch their lead and duly obliged 15 minutes from the final whistle.

It was again Turner who crossed for his second of the match but he had some great interplay to thank in the build-up that created the space for him to ground the ball just inside the right touchline.
The former England Academy captain was involved himself in a free-flowing move on the tackle before his try.

As Hull spread the ball from under the posts, he linked with Seymour and McKinnon before sending Tickle almost barging over. But with clever thinking from Sharp at acting half, he found his centre partner unmarked as he waltzed over.

Tickle then stepped up to coolly add the conversion from just inside the whitewash to hand Hull a 20-6 lead going into the final 12 minutes.

And with their confidence soaring, Hull FC put the gloss on an outstanding performance with a try worthy of gracing any derby. Starting with Willie Manu on the left, he danced across the field before offloading to his support.

With the ball then moved to Richard Whiting on the right, his flick pass out of the tackle sent Turner racing away. Keeping calm under pressure, the centre found the supporting Jamie Ellis and as linked with Horne, the ball was worked out to Yeaman for a try to remember.

Tickle failed with the boot for the first time in the afternoon from wide out on the left, but he was on target in the next set when Hull made it three tries in the space of five glorious minutes to make the scores 30-6.

The Robins defence was powerless to stop a rampant Hull side by this stage and they could only watch as Seymour jinked over after a Danny Houghton break had put the Airlie Birds on the front foot.

And it was fittingly left to Turner to have the final word, as he picked up a loose ball on the hooter to sprint 90 metres before diving gleefully under the posts in front of a packed South Stand.

Hull FC: McKinnon, Sharp, Turner, Yeaman, Briscoe, Horne, Seymour, Radford, Houghton, Lynch, Manu, Tickle, Whiting.

Subs: Aspinwall, Pitts, Bowden, Ellis

Tries: Turner (3), Radford, Yeaman, Seymour

Goals: Tickle (5/6)

Hull KR: McDonnell, Hall, Horne, Welham, Hodgson, Murrell, Dobson, Clinton, Withers, Taylor, Mika, Hodgson, Watts.

Subs: Paea, Wheeldon, Lovegrove, Galea.

Tries: Hall

Goals: Dobson (1/1)

Referee: R Silverwood

Attendance: 18,979

Story Sponsor:
Cup QF - Side

Match News


Hull FC maintained their grip on the Steve Prescott Cup and remained top of the First Utility Super League with a gritty win against a spirited St. Helens at the KC Stadium.


Table-topping Hull FC face 2014 Super League champions St. Helens at the KC Stadium on Saturday afternoon.


The Black and Whites moved two points clear at the top of the First Utility Super League table with victory over rivals Hull Kingston Rovers at the Dacia Magic Weekend in Newcastle.

Official Sponsors


Contact Us

KC Stadium
West Park, Hull, HU3 6HU
Tel: 01482 327200
Fax: 01482 587002
Ticket Office: 01482 505 600
© 2016 Hull FC. All rights reserved.
Data managed and maintained by Bill Dalton (honorary club historian)
Designed and powered by Sportradar