This website uses cookies (view our policy)  or  accept and close.
Widnes Top Banner
Image Copyright: Hull FC Super League Ltd.


By | 25/03/2012

Hull FC continued their unbeaten run with a 42-28 victory over Castleford Tigers in an end-to-end clash at the PROBIZ Coliseum.

Both sides exchanged the lead in an enthralling first half, with Sam Moa, Willie Manu and Jordan Turner all crossing for Hull, whilst Nick Youngquest and Jonathan Walker replied for the Tigers.

After the break though it was predominantly one way traffic as Tickle, who kicked seven from seven on the day, stole in for a crafty try in the corner, along with efforts from Brett Seymour, Tom Briscoe and Manu’s second of the game sandwiching a try for Josh Griffin.

Despite Hull’s dominance, Castleford did manage a consolation late on through Brett Ferres but it couldn’t halt the visitors march to a fourth consecutive win in Super League.

The Match

Head coach Peter Gentle was able to name an unchanged side for the trip to the PROBIZ Coliseum as his side went on the hunt to keep pace with the top two of Warrington and Huddersfield.

Mark O’Meley remained sidelined with an ankle injury despite returning from a one game suspension, with long term absentees Aaron Heremaia, Kirk Yeaman and Joe Westerman also unavailable.

The Tigers welcomed back the instrumental Danny Orr to their side alongside their talisman Rangi Chase, whilst Josh Griffin and Jonathan Walker were also back in the fold.

The Black and Whites, sporting red and white socks for Sport Relief, started the game looking the most likely to score and soon enough after a sustained period of pressure on the Tigers line, powerful prop forward Sam Moa went crashing over the line from close range to give his side the lead with just ten minutes played.

Cries of ‘There’s only one Sam Moa’ and ‘Old Faithful’ rang around the Coliseum as Hull remained in control, despite the hosts having a try ruled out on the quarter of the hour mark for a weak knock on just short of the try line.

However, Cas didn’t have to wait long to register their first points of the game though and in a five minute turnaround they found themselves in the lead.

Orr’s clever kicking game shone through with a neat punt and chase behind Hull’s defensive line which eventually opened the door for Nick Youngquest to sneak in at the corner for their opening try, before Josh Walker mirrored Moa’s efforts to go crashing over just one set later as Hull kicked out on the full from the restart.

Yet, in a half that was to sway to and fro throughout, Jordan Turner’s fine break down the left gave Willie Manu the chance to re-affirm his sides lead on 25 minutes, before the score line was reversed again as Castleford’s off season signing Grant Millinton made the most of a dubious call from referee Thomason to touch down one handed in an end-to-end tie.

Traditionally it has always been the case for clashes between both sides at Wheldon Road and the latest chapter in the rivalry certainly wasn’t disappointing as first Cas had another try ruled out for offside, before Tom Briscoe was just run out into touch in the corner at the opposite end.

However, it would be Hull to have the final say so in an enthralling half as an impressive Turner highlighted his pace and strength once more, rounding of a perfectly executed scrum play for an 18-16 lead.

As the hooter sounded, Danny Tickle added made it a four point cushion with a penalty after a spat between Rangi Chase and Richard Whiting as a scintillating half of rugby league came to a close.
The early signs of the second half seemed to suggest there would be no sign of a let up either.

England winger Briscoe went close once again only to be adjudged to have crossed into touch has he touched down a 50-metre effort, before Tickle extended his side’s lead down the opposite wing, collecting a blindside pass for a now trademark set play in the corner.

Moments later scrum half Brett Seymour then threw a dummy and burrowed his way over from almost exactly the same spot for a converted try and a fourteen point cushion at 16-30 with Hull looking in imperious form after the interval.

However, the loss of full back Wade McKinnon through injury after the Australian had knocked on caused unrest in the Hull defensive line and the Tigers took full advantages as Griffin strolled in down the right hand side for one of the easiest tries he’ll get all season.

Consecutive breaks in midfield by Martin, Sharp and Briscoe all helped ease the pressure on Hull’s defence and eventually the latter crossed to re-establish the visitors healthy lead, clutching on to Willie Manu’s fine offload in a tackle to run in un-challenged for a 22-36 lead.

With just ten minutes to play it looked to be game over, but Hull made sure towards the end with another superbly crafted try as both Richard Horne and Jordan Turner calmly handled another Briscoe breakaway this time steer Manu through a gaping hole in the Tigers defence for his second of the game.

Brett Ferres did manage a late consolation for the Tigers with a neat effort through the middle, but it did little to take the shine off another fine win for the Black and Whites in sun soaked Castleford as Peter Gentle’s men continued their march towards the top of the Super League table.

Hull FC Team: McKinnon, Sharp, Martin, Turner, Briscoe, Horne, Seymour, Moa, Houghton, Lynch, Tickle, Manu, Aspinwall | O’Carroll, Bowden, Ellis, Whiting

Hull FC Tries: Moa, Manu 2, Turner, Tickle, Seymour, Briscoe

Hull FC Goals: Tickle (7/7), Whiting (0/1)

Castleford Tigers Team: Owen, Youngquest, Grehan, Dixon, Griffin, Chase, Orr, Massey, Hudson, Walker, Ferres, Holmes, Emmitt | Snitch, Jones, Millington, McGoldrick

Castleford Tries: Youngquest 2, Walker, Millington, Ferres

Castleford Goals: Dixon (4/5)

Ref: Mr M Thomason

Att: 9,050

Story Sponsor:
Cobus Story Sponsor NEW
Widnes Side Advert

Match News


Hull FC maintained their grip on the Steve Prescott Cup and remained top of the First Utility Super League with a gritty win against a spirited St. Helens at the KC Stadium.


Table-topping Hull FC face 2014 Super League champions St. Helens at the KC Stadium on Saturday afternoon.


The Black and Whites moved two points clear at the top of the First Utility Super League table with victory over rivals Hull Kingston Rovers at the Dacia Magic Weekend in Newcastle.
Cup QF - Side

Official Sponsors


Contact Us

KC Stadium
West Park, Hull, HU3 6HU
Tel: 01482 327200
Fax: 01482 587002
Ticket Office: 01482 505 600
© 2016 Hull FC. All rights reserved.
Data managed and maintained by Bill Dalton (honorary club historian)
Designed and powered by Sportradar