Hull FC
Wakefield Trinity

Match Report: Hull FC 30-14 Wakefield Trinity

Hull FC made it back-to-back home wins at the KCOM Stadium defeating Wakefield Trinity 30-14 in a gritty performance.

The Black & Whites end April winning four out of five games, with the victory sending Hull up to third in the Betfred Super League table.

Albert Kelly and Connor Wynne both touched down, while Joe Westerman bagged a brace in the contest too.

Team News

Despite an extensive injury list for the Black & Whites, several key names came back into the side from the Easter Monday game at St Helens.

Danny Houghton, Josh Griffin and Gareth Ellis all returned to action.

Meanwhile, Connor Wynne also retained his spot at full-back for his second home appearance of the season.

The Match

Hull had the first chance of the game in the opening minutes - Josh Griffin attempted to pat a high Marc Sneyd chip back into the field of play to Jake Connor, who it turn appeared to touch down. However the linesman deemed him to be in touch.

But only minutes later, Hull did have the lead, as in-form Albert Kelly stepped through the Wakefield line to touch down under the posts in style. Sneyd converted his first goal of the afternoon.

However, Trinity were immediately given the chance to respond as Hull were reduced to 12 men with Gareth Ellis being sent to the sin-bin for a late hit. Hull also lost Mickey Paea to a concussion assessment in the opening quarter of an hour.

The visitors did indeed make the most of their advantage. Space opened up on Hull’s right edge allowing room for Jowitt to hit a gap and score. Hampshire converted.

Hull regained the ball immediately from the restart from a Wakefield error, and earning a penalty in the resulting set, Sneyd slotted over a penalty to give Hull the lead.

Hull extended their lead mid-way through the half thanks to youngster Connor Wynne, who scooted over from dummy-half to score his third try in as many games. Sneyd slotted over his third.

Trinity hit back before the break. A chase for a grubber down Wakefield’s left edge saw Justin Horo beat Albert Kelly to the ball to touch down. Hampshire couldn’t convert though.

HALF-TIME: Hull FC 14-10 Wakefield Trinity

Hull immediately extended their lead after the break as Sneyd slotted over a penalty in front of the sticks after Fash took a high shot.

And after absorbing a great deal of pressure in defence on their own try-line in the opening ten minutes of the second-half, FC went down the other end and extended their lead through Joe Westerman who reached out to score after some quick hands from his teammates. Sneyd got his fifth with the boot.

It was a quick double for the loose-forward, who took a great offload from Albert Kelly in the in-goal area to touch down.

Wakefield did manage to get over for a score in the second-half and it was Jowitt who raced away for his second of the afternoon with 5 minutes to play.

Sneyd slotted over a drop-goal in the final seconds to take Hull’s tally to 30.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 30-14 Wakefield Trinity


Hull FC: Connor Wynne, Jack Logan, Carlos Tuimavave, Jake Connor, Josh Griffin, Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd, Scott Tauylor, Danny Houghton, Mickey Paea, Dean Hadley, Sika Manu, Gareth Ellis.

Interchange: Joe Westerman, Chris Green, Masi Matongo, Brad Fash

Wakefield Trinity: Max Jowitt, Ben Jones-Bishop, Reece Lyne, Mason Caton-Brown, Lee Kershaw, Ryan Hampshire, Ben Reynolds, David Fifita, Kyle Wood, Keegan Hirst, Danny Kirmond, Justin Horo, Jordan Crowther.

Interchange: Tinarau Arona, George King, Chris Anakin, Pauli Pauli.


Hull FC Tries: Kelly (5), Wynne (22), Westerman (51,57)

Hull FC Goals: Sneyd (7/8)

Wakefield Trinity Tries: Jowitt (10, 74), Horo (33)

Wakefield Trinity Goals: Hampshire (1/3)

Attendance: 10,254

Story Sponsor