Hull FC
Wakefield Trinity

Wakefield Win Scrappy Encounter

Wakefield Trinity ended Hull FC’s three-game unbeaten run with a 32-12 win in a scrappy encounter at the KCOM Stadium.

After a scoreless opening half-hour, Hull conceded two tries inside four minutes along with a penalty goal, before responding in strong fashion with a pair of tries on the stroke of half-time following Albert Kelly’s sin binning.

In the second half, Wakefield extended their lead through a stop-start half, with Trinity prevailing as 32-12 winners in East Yorkshire.

Team News

Jez Litten came into the squad to make a Man of the Match performance.

Mickey Paea was not named in the 19-man squad to face Wakefield after picking up a rib injury in last week’s win over Leeds Rhinos.

Trinity welcomed back Matty Ashurst from a week on the sidelines, with youngster Jordan Crowther starting the game at loose forward

The Match

The game took a while to warm up with little action in the opening 30 minutes. The match proved to be a war of attrition in blustery conditions before Wakefield broke the deadlock through Ryan Hampshire, just moments after Carlos Tuimavave had a try ruled out.

Then, a dangerous tackle from Albert Kelly earned him a sin bin and Wakefield a penalty kick, which Brough successfully converted.

Wakefield were over the line once again moments after Brough’s goal through Bill Tupou. Trinity got men over on the left flank to outnumber Hull in defence, leaving Tupou with a simple score.

Like last week’s clash with Leeds, being two tries behind seemed to wake the Hull players up as they pressed on looking for their first of the game. It came. Two tries in two minutes just before half-time got the home side right back in the game.

Skipper, Danny Houghton got the first, ripping the ball from the grasp of Jacob Miller as he fell over the line. Then, two minutes later, Bureta Faraimo latched onto an exquisite Marc Sneyd grubber kick touching the ball on the right wing.

Half-time: Hull FC 12 - 14 Wakefield Trinity

After the interval, it was Wakefield who applied the early pressure. A heavy tackle on Marc Sneyd from Danny Kirmond quickly brought play to a halt and a yellow card for the Trinity man.

However that didn’t stop Trinity’s momentum as the visitors upped the ante. A further three tries for the away side, one each for Pauli Pauli and Reece Lyne as well as a second for Tupou, put Trinity in a commanding position.

As frustration grew, Marc Sneyd became the second Hull player to be sin binned after kicking the ball away. The Black and Whites also conceded two penalty goal kicks in the second half, both of which were slotted over by Brough.

Full-time: Hull FC 12 - 32 Wakefield Trinity


Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Ratu Naulago, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Bureta Faraimo, Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Masi Matongo, Mark Minichiello, Sika Manu, Joe Westerman

Interchange: Dean Hadley, Jordan Thompson, Jez Litten, Gareth Ellis

Wakefield Trinity: Ryan Hampshire, Tom Johnstone, Bill Tupou, Reece Lyne, Ben Jones-Bishop, Jacob Miller, Danny Brough, David Fifita, Kyle Wood, Anthony England, Matty Ashurst, Danny Kirmond, Jordan Crowther

Interchange: Justin Horo, Craig Kopczak, Tinarau Arona, Pauli Pauli


Hull FC Tries: Houghton, Faraimo

Hull FC Goals: Sneyd (2/2)

Wakefield Tries: Hampshire, Tupou (2), Lyne, Pauli

Wakefield Goals: Brough (6/8)

Story Sponsor