Hull FC
Castleford Tigers

Match Report: Hull FC 18-26 Castleford Tigers

Hull FC fell to their second successive defeat of the season at home to Castleford Tigers going down 26-18.

In what was an end-to-end clash at the KCOM stadium, Hull suffered a nightmare start after tries from Michael Shenton and Jesse Sene-Lefao saw FC 10-0 down in the opening 12 minutes.

Continued pressure to find an answer eventually yielded reward after Joe Westerman powered over the line to get Hull on the score sheet.

A period of dominance for the hosts saw them score a second try after Jake Connor latched onto a sumptuous Marc Sneyd cross-field kick.

Hull FC looked to be heading into the half-time interval ahead however a score in the last seconds of the half from Michael Shenton saw Hull head to the changing rooms behind.

Castleford stepped it up a gear taking their chance in clinical fashion, scoring two further tries, one each for Junior Moors and James Clare in the second-half.

Team News

Jake Connor came back into the side for Hull FC from suspension, while Joe Westerman made his first appearance since coming back from injury.

Meanwhile Marc Sneyd made his first appearance at the KCOM Stadium since recovering from a knee injury - Hakim Miloudi also came into the squad, replacing injured Dean Hadley.

The Match

Two early tries from the visitors, scored by Michael Shenton and Jesse Sene-Lefao saw Hull 10-0 down in the opening 12 minutes.

Continued pressure from the home side looked to have yielded reward in the fifteenth minute after Mark Minichello touched the ball down in the Castleford end. However, video referee Ben Thaler overturned the on-field decision.

Hull didn’t have to wait too much longer for a breakthrough after Joe Westerman powered through the Castleford backline, on his first start at the KCOM since July. The kick was converted by Marc Sneyd leaving the score 10-6

The home side then took the lead moments later after Jake Connor rose highest to bring down a sumptuous Marc Sneyd chip in the 27th minute. Sneyd once again converting the kick the add the extras. The score; 12-10 to Hull.

The Black and Whites appeared to be heading into the half-time interval in the lead but for a last kick of the half try, scored by Michael Shenton, to see them head to the changing rooms behind once again.

Early pressure from Hull in the second half didn’t bring any fortune to the side as Castleford quickly struck once again. A video referee decision awarded James Clare a try but it was once again not converted the Paul McShane, who missed three of his five kicks.

The home side kept applying pressure having two tries rule out by the referee, one either side of Jake Connor’s second try of the evening.

As tension rose towards the end of the match, Jordan Rankin scored a penalty kick to add to Castleford’s advantage. The final few minutes of the game threatened to boil over before the final hooter sounded.

FULL-TIME: Hull FC 18-26 Castleford


Hull FC: Jamie Shaul, Hakim Miloudi, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Bureta Faraimo, Jake Connor, Marc Sneyd, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Masi Matongo, Mark Minichiello, Sika Manu, Joe Westerman.

Interchange: Mickey Paea, Jordan Thompson, Jez Litten, Jordan Lane.

Castleford: Peter Mata’utia, James Clare, Greg Minikin, Michael Shenton, Greg Eden, Jake Truman, Jordan Rankin, Liam Watts, Paul McShane, Gant Millington, Jesse Sene-Lefao, Alex Foster, Nathan Massey.

Interchange: Adam Milner, Junior Moors, Ben Roberts, Mitch Clark


Hull FC Tries: Westerman (17), Connor (27), Lane (57)

Hull FC Goals: Sneyd (3)

Castleford Tries: Shenton (5,40), Sene-Lefao (12), Clare (48), Moors (54)

Castleford Goals: McShane (2), Rankin (1)

Attendance: 11,244

Story Sponsor

2020 Principal Jersey