Wakefield Trinity
Hull FC

Match Report: Wakefield Trinity 30-24 Hull FC

A late flurry of tries from Wakefield Trinity saw the Black & Whites lose narrowly in Danny Washbrook’s testimonial clash at the Mobile Rocket Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

A young side for Lee Radford’s men went into the final ten minutes of the game leading, but late scores from Ryan Hampshire and Tom Johnstone, who scored a hat-trick in the game, was the West Yorkshire side run out 30-24 winners.

Forward trio Scott Taylor, Mickey Paea and testimonial man Washbrook all touched down for the away side in the first-half, with trialist winger Ratu Naulago scoring after the break.

Team News

Nine Black & White players came into the side after last week’s 72-12 victory over Doncaster RLFC to make their first appearance of 2019, with winger Matty Dawson-Jones making his club debut.

Albert Kelly made his first appearance since July, while Danny Washbrook captained the side in his testimonial game.

Wakefield named a strong side that featured new-signing Danny Brough in the halves alongside Jacob Miller, England international winger Tom Johnstone and Dream Team member Bill Tupou.

Craig Kopczak and George King also ran out fro Trinity after signing for the West Yorkshire club ahead of the 2019 season.


Trinity opened their account for the afternoon with a score courtesy of testimonial man himself Danny Kirmond. New-signing Danny Brough’s short ball saw the Wakefield captain hit a gap 30 metres away from the try-line, and storm through for the hosts opening try, Brough converted.

Hull were quick to respond though, with Hull’s own testimonial player Danny Washbrook leveling the scores within minutes. A break from Jamie Shaul was rewarded, with Albert Kelly’s darting run across the defensive line allowing him to find Washbrook, who stepped over to score on his former hunting ground. He converted his own try.

It was another Black & White forward that put the visitors ahead for the first time in the game half-way through the opening 40 minutes. A cross-field kick from Kelly was patted down into the arms of captain Danny Houghton by debutante Matty Dawson-Jones. The hooker’s short ball found Taylor who crashed over the try-line in front of the travelling Hull FC supporters. Connor added the extras.

Lee Radford’s men quickly asserted their dominance during the midway point of the first-half, with Mickey Paea touching down to make it quick back-to-back tries for the Airlie Birds.

Wakefield responded through England international winger Tom Johnstone before the break however. A strong effort from trialist winger Ratu Naulogo almost prevented the Trinity man from touching down in the corner, but Johnstone had the strength to beat his man before hitting the touchline. Brough kicked the conversion.

Chris Chester’s side attacked once more, and it was 2018 Dream Team member Bill Tupou who came up trumps against Kelly and Naulogo’s defence, scoring in the same spot as his wing partner moments earlier. Brough missed the conversion in blustery conditions to keep Hull narrowly ahead.

But it would be Wakefield who went into the sheds at half-time ahead, with Johnstone scoring his second of the game two minutes before the break.

Half-Time: Wakefield 20-18 Hull FC

Radford made several changes to his side at half-time, with the following team returning to the field:

Shaul, Naulago, Logan, Scott, Dawson-Jones, Miloudi, Connor, Matongo, Hadley, Brown, Langtree, Cox, Lane.

Hull hit the front straight after the restart, with a fast move allowing space for trialist winger Ratu Naulago to stretch out and touch down in the corner. Connor converted once more.

With defenses on top for the majority of the half, Hull were dealt a blow when Brad Fash as withdrawn from action with 15 minutes left in the contest with a shoulder knock.

Hull thought they had sealed the win through trailist Jordax Cox after collecting an impressive offload from Jack Brown, but was held up by Ben Jones-Bishop over the try-line.

The supporters in attendance would have to wait until the 75th minute for the next try of the contest, and it was Trinity half-back Ryan Hampshire who scored it. His break saw him beat young full-back Connor Wynne on his way to the line. Kirmond was allowed to convert the goal in his testimonial game to out his side ahead, 26-24.

A score from Tom Johnstone in the final seconds of the game saw him complete his hat-trick and seal the win for Trinity, who walked away with the David Topliss Memorial Trophy.

Full-Time: Wakefield Trinity 30-24 Hull FC

Wakefield Team:

Starting XIII: Max Jowitt, Ben Jones-Bishop, Reece Lyne, Bill Tupou, Tom Johnstone, Jacob Miller, Danny Brough, Craig Kopczak, Tyler Randell, Anthony England, Matty Ashurst, Danny Kirmond, Jordan Crowther.

Interchange: George King, Justin Horo, Keegan Hirst, Ben Reynolds, James Batchelor, Jordan Baldwinson, Tinarau Arona, Pauli Pauli, Craig Huby, Chris Annakin, David Fifita, Joe Arundel, Ryan Hampshire.

Hull FC Team:

Starting XIII: Jamie Shaul, Ratu Naulago, Cameron Scott, Jack Logan, Matty Dawson-Jones, Albert Kelly, Jake Connor, Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Mickey Paea, Jordan Lane,Danny Washbrook, Jordan Thompson.

Interchange: Masi Matongo, Brad Fash, Levy Nzoungou, Jack Brown, Jez Litten , Dean Hadley, Danny Langtree, Jordan Cox, Chrlie Patterson-Lund, Bureta Faraimo, Hakim Miloudi, Connor Wynne.


Wakefield Tries: Kirmond (4), Johnstone (29, 38, 79), Tupou (32), Hampshire (75)

Wakefield Goals: Brough (2/4), Kirmond (1/2)

Hull FC Tries: Washbrook (8), Taylor (17), Paea (22), Naulogo (44)

Hull FC Goals: Washbrook (1/1), Connor (3/3)

Attendance: 2,744

Story Sponsor