Oakes Hat-trick Helps COHA Towards Play-off Push

A Will Oakes hat-trick helped City of Hull Academy to move another step closer towards a tilt at the play-offs after a 38-10 win over Warrington Wolves.

A Will Oakes hat-trick helped City of Hull Academy to move another step closer towards a tilt at the play-offs after a 38-10 win over Warrington Wolves.

Following a draw away at St. Helens the previous week, the City of Hull Academy made another trip across the Pennines in a crunch match against the Wolves.

A win would allow the City of Hull some breathing space in the table as they looked to push away from the chasers for the top four and go unbeaten in five league matches.

The red-hot City of Hull form of previous weeks was on show from the start as Morrow and Sanderson linked up to send Oakes in to open the afternoon’s proceedings, before booming over the touchline conversion to give the City of Hull an early 6-0 lead.

The red, white and black outfit continued to apply pressure to the Wire defence and extended their advantage.

Warrington knocked-on 30 metres out in their first set in possession and handed the City of Hull a great chance to post points, and they needed no second invitation as Whittles fired a flat-pass to Harry Hutchinson, who fended an attempted tackle before diving in.

Warrington were unable to keep hold of the ball in the opening stages and another error close to their line was capitalised on as Whittles and Hutchinson linked up again for a carbon copy of Hutchinson’s first try.

Oakes converted to make it 16-0, and also converted the next one as Lane barged over despite the attention of three Warrington defenders.

As the half progressed, the Wolves’ frustration began to boil over after a City of Hull tackle caused a Warrington penalty, and the two sides came together in a scuffle, resulting in Joe Cator being dispached to the sin-bin.

With the Hull side down to 12 men, Warrington took their chance to put some points on the board as they swiftly moved the ball wide where Ryan Jones touched down in the corner as half time approached, but it would be the City of Hull who had the final say in the first half as Oakes slotted a penalty from 40 metres out to increase their advantage.

HALF-TIME: Warrington Wolves 4-24 City of Hull

Hull had to do some defending at the start of the second half as the Wolves looked to mount a comeback, but on two occasions Elliot Wallis put the Warrington man in touch, before turning defence into attack on the third occasion as he fielded a cross-field kick before hitting the afterburners and scorching 95 metres downfield to go in under the posts.

Warrington weren’t waving the white flag just yet however, as three back-to-back penalties piggybacked them downfield before looping a pass out wide to Ellis Gillam, who touched down before Joe Edge added the conversion to reduce the arrears to 30-10 in favour of the Hull side.

Any chance of a comeback however was quickly extinguished as Litten forced an error from the restart and Clavering, Cator and Whittles linked up to send Will Oakes in for his second of the afternoon, and after Warrington had a try chalked off for being offside, Oakes completed his hat-trick after safely taking a long, looping pass from Sanderson to touch down in the corner as the full-time hooter sounded to complete a fantastic win for the City of Hull, who now push themselves three points clear of fifth-place Leeds Rhinos to strengthen their grip on the top four, and more importantly a semi-final place.

FULL TIME: Warrington Wolves 10-38 City of Hull

CITY OF HULL: Sanderson; Wallis, Scott, Hutchinson, Oakes; Whittles, Morrow; Bardle, Litten, Clavering; Wardill, Lane, Cator.

INTERCHANGES: J Brown, Butler, Rooks, Harrison.

WARRINGTON WOLVES: Dagger; Edge, Roper, Phythian, R Jones; Taylor, Reardon; Moran, Ainsworth, Cottington; Gillam, Kilgannon, Robson.

INTERCHANGES: L Jones, Wilson, Tankard, Wainright.

Story Sponsor

Nationwide Diamond Group