Ellis Return Helps Reserves to Victory

Gareth Ellis played his first game in three months yesterday as he helped Hull FC Reserves to a 30-10 victory over Halifax.

  • Ellis makes comeback in Reserves’ win over Halifax
  • Reserves ran out 30-10 winners
  • Double from Matty Welham seals victory

Gareth Ellis played his first game in three months yesterday as he helped Hull FC Reserves to a 30-10 victory over Halifax.

The first-team captain, who last appeared for the Black and Whites in the victory over table-topping Castleford Tigers in April, played his first game since picking up a sternum injury as he started in the front row for the Reserves.

The former Great Britain and England international got 50 minutes under his belt as the Reserves ran in six tries, including a double from Matty Welham, to take the win.

Hull opened their account for the afternoon when a length of the field move, started by Ellis with a big drive before a break by Welham down the left, saw the latter kick through for Jack Wray to pounce after four minutes, Wray then added the extras to his own try.

A superb 40/20 from Wray set up an attacking position and from that winger Welham got on the end of a flowing move from right to left to score in the corner for an unconverted score.

Halifax got on the score sheet after 28 minutes as hooker Chris Cullimore dived over from acting half after back-to-back penalties presented them with territory and possession to cut the gap to six points before the break.

The Airlie Birds extended their advantage three minutes into the second half as full-back Mike Adlard broke through the defensive line ten metres from the visitors’ line and Wray couldn’t convert again but the hosts had an eight-point cushion.

Halifax again reduced the deficit as prop Luke Nelmes broke through and put the supporting Joslin Landu over, with Morgan Punchard adding the goal to keep the away side in the contest.

However Welham added his second try of the game after an intelligent grubber from Wray left the opposition line gaping for the winger to touchdown in the 56th minute. Wray added a majestic touchline conversion to stretch the lead to ten points.

Lachlan Fitzgerald added another score as he managed to grab an inside pass after he juggled it and dived over.

Wray was again just off target with the kick, but Richard Horne’s men were pulling themselves clear of Halifax as the second half went on.

With just four minutes remaining Ross Osborne used his strength and forced his way over under the posts from short range after a deft short pass from Wray, with the diminutive scrum-half then converting to seal the victory.

Hull FC: Adlard, Sidney, Bower, Buchanan, Welham, Fitzgerald, Wray, Osborne, Downs, Ellis, Wetserman, Turgut, Silk. Interchange: Tramner, Bastiman, Gilbey, Branton

Tries: Wray (4), Welham (19, 56), Adlard (43), Fitzgerald (61), Osborne (76)

Goals: Wray 3/6

Story Sponsor