Five famous wins: Castleford Tigers

As Hull FC prepare to take on Castleford Tigers on Boxing Day, we look back at five famous wins for the Black and Whites against the West Yorkshire side.

As Hull FC prepare to take on Castleford Tigers on Boxing Day, we look back at five famous wins for the Black and Whites against the West Yorkshire side.

7th April 1958 (Easter Monday) Castleford 2 Hull FC 52

With only four games left to play as Easter arrived, Hull needed to win at least three to be certain of achieving fourth position and a place in the Championship Play-Off.

They duly saw off Rovers 15-8 on Good Friday before going to Castleford, where for the first time in the history of the club, they amassed 50 points away from Home.

Tommy Finn led the try-scoring with four, followed by Ivor Watts and Cyril Sykes (Both scored two) and others from Brian Saville, Mick Scott, Tommy Harris and Brian Hambling. Peter Bateson kicked eight goals.

Finn and Watts went on to record over a century of tries for Hull and Johnny Whiteley and Bill Drake, who did likewise, also played that day.

1st November 1981: Castleford 5 Hull FC 23 (John Player Trophy 2nd Round)

This was a sensational display by Hull against a very good Castleford team, who were just emerging as contenders for honours in the game.

Steve Norton had his best game for Hull that day and he single-handedly almost dragged Hull to success in the John Player Trophy, going on to beat Hull KR in the final.

The attendance at Wheldon Road was 13,413, which constituted a record for the 10-year old competition.

2nd April 1983: Hull 14 Castleford 7 (RL Cup semi-final-at Elland Road)

For the second year in succession Hull secured their place at Wembley by overcoming Castleford at the semi-final stage.

Elland Road was the chosen venue and it brought back happy memories of Hull’s success there in the previous campaign’s Replayed final.

On this occasion, Castleford proved a real threat to the Cup holders in a quite bruising encounter, and took the lead in the 48th minute at 6-7.

Early in the game, James Leuluai had scored a truly brilliant solo try when he ran in from 35 yards, beating three Castleford defenders by adjustments to pace and swerve.

He finished off by rounding full-back Gary Coen as if he didn’t exist. That put Hull 6-0 in front, but Lee Crooks had missed both conversions from easy positions.

After Castleford had clawed their way into the lead, Terry Day made a try for Steve Evans and than scored himself to put the Airlie Birds clear.

The attendance of 26,031 was the highest at a Cup semi-final for 11 years.

6th November 1983: Castleford 4 Hull FC 8 (John Player Trophy 1st Round)

This game has long been remembered, perhaps not for any brilliant football, but for the sheer defensive guts displayed by Hull after having forwards Trevor Skerrett and Ronnie Wileman sent off on the half hour mark when leading 6-2.

The 11 men left just simply tackled for their lives against a team that was looking for revenge for the earlier Yorkshire Cup final defeat at Headingley.

The e11 Black and White heroes thwarted every Castleford effort to break them down. Oddly, Wileman had been sent off before half-time in the game referred to above.

Steve Evans scored Hull’s try, with Lee Crooks landing two goals.

10th April 1985: Hull 22 Castleford 16 -RL Cup semi-final Replay-at Headingley

Hull completed hat-trick of Cup semi-final victories in 1985, but not before drawing the initial encounter at the same venue.

If it was ever believed that Cup-tie football is akin to a game of tiddley-winks, this would clarify the situation!

Roared on by a massive following of their supporters, Hull stormed back into the game after two massive early bows.

First Gary Hyde’s converted try put Castleford 6-0 in front before Gary Kemble was felled and stretchered off after a head-high tackle, the viciousness of which has rarely been witnessed before or since, and the incident spurred Hull on to overcome the loss of their full-back by establishing a 22-12 half-time lead.

Peter Sterling also came in for a sustained head high attack, which also involved some alleged eye-gouging, leading to an all-in brawl under Hull’s posts just before the break.

James Leuluai, once more the man for the big occasion, gave a superb performance after dropping to full-back and Man of the Match Lee Crooks was a tower of strength in the forwards.

His break and subsequent offload to Leuluai two minutes before the break established a lead that Castleford found just too much to overcome.

A solid possession-based game in the second half saw their defence hold good until the 79th minute when Tony Merchant paved the way for winger Chris Chapman to score.

Story Sponsor