match-reports.jpg Hull FC's injury troubles continued with Kirk Yeaman and Danny Washbrook both having to be taken off in their 18-16 defeat against Warrington Wolves at the KC Stadium. Yeaman left the field with a head injury after playing on "auto pilot" for half an hour and Washbrook has suffered a knee ligament injury. Both players will be assessed over the next few days but with nine internationals and senior players already missing this is not what Hull need. With a lengthy break now before they travel to Leeds on Tuesday, May 26th, Hull at least have a chance to get some of their walking wounded back on the field and Head Coach Richard Agar does expect at least three, Motu Tony, Gareth Raynor and Lee Radford to be available. Unfortunately for Hull their lack of troops cost them dearly against a Warrington side which ultimately had the power, strength and a superb kicking game from Lee Briers. Hull produced plenty of effort but after taking a 16-6 lead five minutes into the second half they were battered back by Briers and the big Warrington forwards. It took Hull until the last five minutes to get within striking distance of the Warrington line when loan player Jodie Broughton went within inches of what would have given Hull only their third home win of the season. That and another piece of possession two minutes later when Man of the Match Danny Tickle was harshly adjudged to have knocked on when it appeared a Warrington player had touched the ball in flight was Hull's only chances. In between a Tickle penalty which put Hull 16-6 ahead and those late efforts Warrington had dominated the half and it all started on the back of successive penalties. Those penalties and three drop outs saw the momentum in the game swing around. Until then Hull had dominated the game and fully deserved their 16-6 lead, which came after a dream start. Hull couldn't have asked for a better start as they went 12-0 ahead in the opening 16 minutes as Warrington paid the price when former Hull favourite Garreth Carvell was first put on report for a high tackle on Richard Horne and then sin bin for an infringement against his friend Ewan Dowes who got up laughing from the incident. Hull looked in control and when Richard Whiting gave them the lead on 13 minutes they appeared more than capable of going on and making it three wins in a row. Whiting's try followed a piece of footwork between him and Mark Calderwood which would have delighted Hull City manager Phil Brown. After Michael Monaghan's pass had gone astray, Whiting pounced and kicked ahead. That was the start and then Calderwood joined in on the action as he kicked on and then superbly kept the ball in play and turned it back inside for Whiting to score. Tickle who had earlier missed a penalty added the goal and he was on target three minutes later when Hull struck again. In the first set from the kick off Hull cut the Warrington defence open on their left with Yeaman providing the perfect pass for Broughton to race away to the line. That gave Hull a deserved 12-0 lead but a string of penalties, three in a row, allowed Warrington the possession and position to get back in the game which they did when Simon Grix cut through off Louis Anderson's pass and with Chris Bridge adding the goal Hull's lead was cut to six. A Tickle penalty just before half time when Mickey Higham was penalised for stealing the ball off Paul King, who was making his 100th substitute appearance, and another Tickle strike five minutes after the break when Ben Westwood was penalised put Hull 10 points ahead. But that was the last time Hull got within striking distance of the Warrington line until those late efforts. In between Briers kicked well, Hull were put under enormous pressure and, although they defended valiantly the cracks were going to appear. They did as the big Warrington forwards made in roads and on 61 minutes Bridge went in. Six minutes later they scored again through Grix and now Hull's lead was reduced to 16-14. Teenage forward Josh Hodgson came on for his senior debut and he created a little bit of history. His dad Dave played for Hull in the 70s and they are the 10th father and son pair to have donned a black and white jersey.  With seven minutes to go Warrington scored the vital match winning try when Vinnie Anderson crossed in the corner to make it 18-16 and try as they did Hull couldn't find a way back. A disappointed Richard Agar said afterwards: "I thought we set ourselves a good foundation in the first half and we shaped up quite well. We talked at half time if we could do anything better then it would be to improve our kicking game. "Unfortunately, that fell down although credit to the Warrington players for putting us under pressure. But we just couldn't find any space with our kicks and we just spent the entire second half camp in our own half. That took too much out of us in the end. "We are disappointed with the loss but we have a few troops out and we had a side which contains a few kids and some players playing out of position. "I felt I couldn't fault the effort. The boys in the middle worked really hard for us but it was too much for us to sustain in the second half. As I have said I thought we laid a good foundation in the first half but unfortunately in the second we tired. "We also had some busted troops out on the field; we lost Kirk who was playing for half an hour on auto pilot after a bang on the head. He is a little bit of a concern for us and Danny Washbrook had to come off with a knee ligament injury. "We are doing it tough but while we are putting in effort like that things will change and we will have two or three back, Motu, Raynor and Radford, who missed this game with a back injury in training, I expected to return." Hull FC: R Horne; Calderwood, Whiting, Yeaman, Broughton; Washbrook, Thorman; Cusack, Lee, Thackray, Dowes, Burnett, Tickle. Substitutes: Houghton, King, Maloney, Hodgson. Warrington Wolves: Bridge; Mathers, Grix, V Anderson, Riley; Briers, Monaghan; Morley, Clarke, Carvell, L Anderson, Westwood, Harrison. Substitutes: Higham, Rauhihi, Wood, Blythe. Referee: S Ganson Attendance: 10, 997 Scorers: Hull FC: Tries. Whiting, Broughton. Goals. Tickle 4 Warrington Wolves: Tries. Grix (2), Bridge, V Anderson. Goals. Bridge 1 Man of the Match: Danny Tickle. Hull Reserves beat Warrington 26-22 and the Academy also beat the Wolves 16-12.

Story Sponsor